Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ike and the Weekend

Every now and then, Life likes to look at my carefully planned schedule, rip it into shreds and laugh in my face. But .. at least there are often exciting and interesting events when that happens. I had planned to continue my series of articles on polls, especially building towards a decent and reasonably readable guide on how to find a good one. But Life, well Life had other ideas. First of all, there’s my real world, where I have a ton of work and a couple courses as I work towards my MBA, and the professors and my boss would really appreciate it if I did what they tell me. Also, my wife and daughter have this funny idea that I should spend some time with my family. Come to that, so do my dogs. The dogs have a simple tool – if I ignore them, they dig up the internet cable.

And then there was Ike.

Look, I am not particularly afraid of a little wind, and a nice bit of rain would mean I did not have to spend that hour watering my lawn every day for a while. But … 20 foot tide swells and 120 mph winds, OK that means taping and boarding up the house, bringing in every loose object within a quarter-mile, and checking the list to make sure we have everything. Of course we don’t. There’s always something else you need, and so off we go to get ice, extra dog food, and more bottled water. Then we will check the list again, although most of the stores are closed tomorrow.

See you Monday, if the waters subside by then …

No comments: