Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Grief, Honor, Prayer

Monday, a Marine Corps F/A-18D crashed into a San Diego neighborhood, killing four family members, including two children. The incident is under investigation.

Dong Yun Yoon, a naturalized citizen who was born in South Korea, lost his wife, mother-in-law, and his two children, ages 15 months and 2 months. From the CNN report, Yoon said “"I cannot believe that they are not here right now. I know there are many people who have experienced more terrible things, but please, tell me how to do it. I don't know what to do."

By itself, this story would be a horrific tragedy, a man who has lost everything due to something he could never have possibly foreseen or prevented. But what struck me was the character of the man, speaking even in his grief about the pilot of the plane:

"He is one of our treasures for the country," Yoon said in accented English punctuated by long pauses while he tried to maintain his composure.

"I don't blame him. I don't have any hard feelings. I know he did everything he could,"


I try to be a good man, but I have to say that I do not know if I could find such honorable words for the pilot, were I standing in Mr. Yoon’s shoes right now. I could forgive the pilot, maybe, but it would be hard to show the grace that Mr. Yoon did in this place and time. It only reinforces the fact to me that here is a good man who is suffering a terrible, unbearable pain unjustly, even if it is no one’s fault.

If you are a praying person like me, please add Dong Yun Yoon to your prayer list, a good and kind man who needs and deserves solace and comfort in this time.

No comments: