Free Republic posted a link to a piece by Pukin Dog, to answer the question “What Has President Bush Done For America?”
READ THE WHOLE THING, but here are a few of my favorites from that long and well-written list:
* Banned Partial Birth Abortion — by far the most significant roll-back of abortion on demand since Roe v. Wade.
*.Requires states to conduct criminal background checks on prospective foster and adoptive parents.
* Signed the Teacher Protection Act, which protects teachers from lawsuits related to student discipline.
* Signed two income tax cuts, one of which was the largest dollar-value tax cut in world history.
* Supports permanent elimination of the death tax.
* In process of permanently eliminating IRS marriage penalty.
* Initiated discussion on privatizing Social Security and individual investment accounts.
* Killed Clinton's "ergonomic" rules that OSHA was about to implement; rules would have shut down every home business in America.
* Increased the annual contribution limit on Education IRA's from $500 to $2,000 per child.
* Reduced H1B visas from a high of 195,000 per year to 66,000 per year.
* Changed the tone in the White House, restoring HONOR and DIGNITY to the presidency.
* On Friday, September 14, 2001, President Bush visited Ground Zero. Someone handed him a small American flag and bullhorn. The President spontaneously shouted: "I can hear you. The rest of the world hears you. And the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon." The crowd roared with cheers and chants of "USA! USA! USA!" Then he raised that American flag and rallied a nation.
* Requires annual reading and math tests in grades three through eight.
* Increased funding for the Troops-to-Teachers program, which recruits former military personnel to to become teachers.
* Killed the Kyoto Global Warming Treaty.
* Successfully executed two wars in the aftermath of 9/11/01: Afghanistan and Iraq. 50 million people who had lived under tyrannical regimes now live in freedom.
* Saddam Hussein is now in prison. His two murderous sons are dead. All but a handful of the regime's senior members were killed or captured.
* Initiated a comprehensive review of our military, which was completed just prior to 9/11/01, and which accurately reported that ASYMMETRICAL WARFARE capabilities were critical in the 21st Century.
* Killed the old US/Soviet Union ABM Treaty that was preventing the U.S. from deploying our ABM defenses.
* Pushed through THREE raises for our military. Increased military pay by more than $1 billion a year.
* Signed the LARGEST nuclear arms reduction in world history with Russia.
* Started withdrawing our troops from Bosnia, and has announced withdrawal of our troops from Germany and the Korean DMZ.
* Prohibited putting U.S. troops under U.N. command.
* Ordered renovation of military housing. The military has already upgraded about 10 percent of its inventory and expects to modernize 76,000 additional homes this year.
* Brought back our EP-3 intel plane and crew from China without any bribes or bloodshed.
* Killed U.S. involvement in the International Criminal Court.
* Initiated review of all federal agencies with the goal of eliminating federal jobs (completed September 2003) in an effort to reduce the size of the federal government while increasing private sector jobs.
* Led the most extensive reorganization the Federal bureaucracy in over 50 years: After 9/11, condensed 20+ overlapping agencies and their intelligence sectors into one agency, the Department of Homeland Security.
* Double the research budget of the National Institutes of Health.
* New Health Savings Accounts: Effective January 1, 2004, Americans can set aside up to $4,500 every year, tax free, to save for medical expenses. Depending on your tax bracket, that means you'll save between 10 to 35 percent on any costs covered by money in your account. Every year, the money not spent would stay in the account and gain interest tax-free, just like an IRA. These accounts will be good for small business owners, and employees. More businesses can focus on covering workers for major medical problems, such as hospitalization for an injury or illness. At the same time, employees and their families will use these accounts to cover doctors visits, or lab tests, or other smaller costs. Some employers will contribute to employee health accounts. This will help more American families get the health care they need at the price they can afford.
* Has CONSTRUCTION in process on the first 10 ABM silos in Alaska so that America will have a defense against North Korean nukes. Has ordered national and theater ballistic missile defenses to be deployed by 2004.
* Announced a 9.7% increase in government-wide homeland security funding in his FY 2005 budget, nearly tripling the FY 2001 levels (excluding the Department of Defense and Project BioShield).
* The Border Patrol is continuing installation of monitoring devices along the borders to detect illegal activity.
* Launched Operation Tarmac to investigate businesses and workers in the secure areas of domestic airports and ensure immigration law compliance. Since 9/11, DHS has audited 3,640 businesses, examined 259,037 employee records, arrested 1,030 unauthorized workers, and participated in the criminal indictment of 774 individuals.
* Since September 11, 2001, the Coast Guard has conducted more than 124,000 port security patrols, 13,000 air patrols, boarded more than 92,000 vessels, interdicted over 14,000 individuals attempting to enter the United States illegally, and created and maintained more than 90 Maritime Security Zones.
* Information regarding nearly 100% of all containerized cargo is carefully screened by DHS before it arrives in the United States. Higher risk shipments are physically inspected for terrorist weapons and contraband prior to being released from the port of entry. Advanced technologies are being deployed to identify warning signs of chemical, biological, or radiological attacks. Since September 11, 2001, hundreds of thousands of first responders across America have been trained to recognize and respond to the effects of a WMD attack.
* Is nominating strong, conservative judges to the judiciary.
* Supports class action reform bill which limits lawyer fees so that more settlement money goes to victims.
* Committed US funds to purchase medicine for millions of men, women and children now suffering with AIDS in Africa.
This is a very, very, very good President we have in office.
Read the Whole Thing. What I posted was just a taste.